[kdepim-users] KDE SC 4.4.0 and address book (solved)

Werner Joss werner at hoernerfranzracing.de
Sun Feb 28 10:59:42 GMT 2010

Am Sunday 28 February 2010 11:41:52 schrieb Ingo Klöcker:
> You mean, what is the limitation of a local vCard file used via the
> compatibility Akonadi resource (i.e. "KDE Address Book (traditional)")
> opposed to a local vCard file used via the new native Akonadi resource
> (i.e. "VCard File")?

yes.

> I do not know the details, but does it really matter? It should be
> rather obvious that using a compatibility layer is subpar to using a
> native layer because
> a) it adds a level of complexity, i.e. another point of failure, and
> b) the compatibility layer adds compatibility for all of the KDE
> resources supported before Akonadi and thus cannot be tailored
> specifically for the needs of a single case.
>
> I see only one reason why one would prefer the compatibility resource
> over the native resource: If the native resource has a bug which does
> not occur with the compatibility resource. To my knowledge this is not
> the case.

there might be others, too.
see my other post on the ubuntu-one/dropbox issue.
sure, I could just host the native akonadi ressource folders
(~.local/share/contacts/ ...) on a dropbox/ubuntu-one share,
but that would result I could not use this directly from kde 3.5.x machines.
as a side note, the DIMAP/kaddressbook ressource approach still doesn't work
for me, although I tried the latest advice on userbase on that topic.
plus, that would also imply I cannot easily access my contacts when I have
just web access in an internet cafe (which is usually via internet exploder on
a windoze box), same goes for windoze @work.
the dropbox/std.vcf approach still works relative well in this case.

werner