[kdepim-users] Problem with INBOX

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Fri Sep 25 15:36:54 BST 2009

On Friday 25 September 2009 14:53:35 Bengt Gördén wrote:

> I did have a lot trouble with dovecot on a ubuntu-server 1-2 years ago. I
>  used kmail and IMAP on the dovecot and there were duplicated mail all
>  over. I usually have 2000-3000 mail in my folders and that really got to
>  me having to delete all those emails from time to time. Until I found
>  "remove duplicate mail".
>
> I can't say that it is dovecot but we couldn't find any traces in the logs
>  for our problem so we made the switch to courier and we haven't had any
>  such problems after that. I even did a substantial analysis of several
>  tcpdumps without seeing anything unusual except that the dovecot server
>  offered already seen emails. But that only happened with kmail (not with
>  claws).

Well I can clear that one up for you.  I know exactly what your problem was.
If you configure kontact to supply addressbook, diary and any other services
via imap, this happens.  I've been using kmail for 7 years and dovecot for
over 3 of them.  The only time I've seen your problem was when I tried to get
addressbook and diary served by imap.  It works perfectly for some people on
some setups, but there were lots of people seeing the problem you described.
I tried to solve it for a few days, but then gave up on that. :-)  So there
you are - it was kmail, not dovecot.

> > > 3. Which syslog-server?
> >
> > Not sure what you mean here, but I was checking logs on the box with
> >  dovecot.
>
> Ok. There are several different syslog-server-daemons. Normaly you just use
> syslogd but I also use rsyslog and syslog-ng depending on what I need to
>  do. syslog-ng is the easiest to set up and to understand. rsyslog is best
>  when you have to forward from one server to another and keep information
>  untouched. YMMV.

OK - according to syslog.conf, all mail-related messages are logged in
/var/log/maillog, which was the first place I checked.

> > > Usually courier, cyrus or dovecot for IMAP. I use courier and there it
> > > is courierlogger that handles the logs. Courierlogger logs to syslog.
> > > My syslog is syslog-ng and the options is normally in
> > >  /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf. I've got:
> >
> > Mail movement is being logged correctly in /var/log/maillog.  And all the
> > subfolders can be read - only INBOX itself is affected, and only for that
> > one user.
>
> Ok. I may have misunderstood you. Is it like this. You can't read the INBOX
>  at all but all the other folders?

That's right.  I can read the sub-folders, but not Inbox itself.

>  Have you tried wireshark or tcpdump to
>  analyse the communication?

No.  I know of both of them, but I've never used them.  To be honest I've
always suspected that they would throw out so much info that, without some
idea of what I'm looking for, I'd be swamped.  Any hints?  which one would be
easiest for a first try?

> > > destination mail { file("/var/log/mail"); };
> > >
> > > So for me it's /var/log/mail. But it is also up to what OS you're using
> > > to define where the syslog should go.
> >
> > This is making no sense to me.  If it were the mail setup I'd expect all
> >  his folders to be affected.  There's nothing different, as far as I can
> >  see, from his setup under earlier Mandriva, or indeed from mine in
> > Fedora. I'm stumped!
>
> Yes. I agree with you. It sounds weird. Bug?

I don't think so.  Something has caused corruption on the folder actually on
the server.  The messages are there, and I can read them in a text editor.
Looking at /home/david/Maildir/dovecot-uidlist, most entries are similar to
mine.  The last few don't have ':2' or any flags, but I assume that's just
because they are unread.  One thing does strike me, though.  The second entry
in this list is cur:2,ST - and that doesn't occur in mine.  Perhaps someone
else using dovecot could tell me whether they see that?  I'm reluctant to
start deleting things, although I'd certainly make a backup file first.

Anne