[kdepim-users] KOrganiizer and Google Calendar

MartinG gronslet at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 11:28:44 BST 2009

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 8:29 AM, Anne Wilson<cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> > Is it actually possible to import a korganizer ical calendar?  Any hints
>> > or tips?

Still not an answer to your question, but what I am doing, is to view
my (and others) google calendar(s) in KOrganizer, using the two-way
sync tool GCalDaemon [1]. These are my notes:

Synchronize Kontact (KOrganizer) and Google Calendar:

Get GCALDaemon, unzip and move to  ~/GCALDaemon
$ chmod u+x ~/GCALDaemon/bin/*.sh
$ echo '~/GCALDaemon/bin/standalone-start.sh' >> ~/.kde/Autostart/gcal-sync.sh
$ chmod +x ~/.kde/Autostart/gcal-sync.sh

Start it manually:
$ ~/.kde/Autostart/gcal-sync.sh &

In google calendar: Settings, Calendar, choose the calendar you want,
in the private section, click the iCal icon, copy the address.
Change "www.google.com" to "localhost:9090"
In Kontact/KOrganizer, add new calendar, Calendar in Remote file:
Download from: http://localhost:9090/calendar/ical/<somethinghere>/basic.ics
Upload to: http://localhost:9090/calendar/ical/<somethinghere>/basic.ics

Automatic reload, regularily
Automatic save, on every change.

This works for me in KOrganizer 4.3.0 rc1. Note that GCalDaemon [1]
requires Java, and is not what I would call the best solution. But it
works (well, I am not able to *edit* an event that originates from the
google web interface, but I can live with that)

So, once you manage to import your ical to google, this is something
you might consider.

best,
MartinG

[1] http://gcaldaemon.sourceforge.net/