[kdepim-users] Character encoding in KMail

phep phep-lists at teletopie.net
Tue Feb 3 22:02:32 GMT 2009

Ingo Klöcker a écrit :
> Kishore's first reply in the "What happened to 'Find in message'?"
> thread contains the character 0xA0 (in hex notation) in the quote of
> Anne's message. I have no idea why KMail seems to have replaced the two
> space characters in "[...] the same job.  Was [...]" with a space
> followed by 0xA0. Could be a bug.

In case this might help, U+00A0 is the non-breakable space. I'm not sure
if this is the correct wording in english - and it 's to late tonight
for me checking the Unicode's charts ;-) - but I think you get what I mean.

In the original message from Anne, U+00A0 doesn't appear (there are two
consecutive U+0020); it only appears in Kishore's reply (that's what
khexedit tells me at least). By the way, the presence of U+00A0 at this
place is quite inconsistent with the fact that the message part it
appears into is advertised as ISO-8859-15. In consequence it is not
quite abnormal that Anne's KMail coughs while quoting it, later.

But the question is how did U+00A0 make its way in Kishore's reply ? I
noticed that in order to add quotation marks, Kishore's KMail edited the
text (new wrapping and so). Would KMail be somehow intelligent enough to
notice that the two consecutive spaces in Anne's original message
followed a full stop and decided that the second one then might well be
a typographic substitute for the "longer" space that should follow a
full stop, etc., or something like that ? Any spell-cheker in there
somewhere, Kishore ?

Otherwise I believe that there are some strangenesses with U+00A0 and
U+2060 in Unicode algorithms but I doubt that QString's care about this
and I don't think KMail uses ICU, does it ?.

> BTW, using KMail 1.9.10, I didn't get an encoding message when replying
> to Kishore's message and the 0xA0 did end up correctly in my reply.

Which reply of your's are you talking about ? In
<200902031944.04790 at thufir.ingo-kloecker.de> I do see a question mark.

> OTOH, in Anne's reply the 0xA0 was replaced by a '?' (question mark).

Not surprising since the multi-part is advertised as ISO-8859-15, as
said above.

phep