[kdepim-users] Folder identities

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Wed Dec 30 17:55:45 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 30 December 2009 11:32:17 you wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 December 2009 14:53:07 Art Alexion wrote:
> > I have been having problem with the folder identities that I set,
> >  "sticking". Perhaps, a better understanding of the design may help me
> >  solve this problem.
> >
> > What exactly does the "Default Identity" mean?  Is it the global default
> > identity set in the Identities settings, or the account default identity
> >  set in the Accounts settings?
> >

> Not sure what you mean by the second one, but Default Identity is the one
>  set  as Default in the Identities list.

In the Account configuration of the kmail settings, choose the account and
edit.  In the resulting dialog, click the Advanced tab.  On that tab you can
set the default identity for the account.

So, in the Identities settings, I may choose arthur at alexion.com as the default
identity, but in the art.alexion at gmail.com account, I can choose the
art.alexion at gmail.com identity as the account default.

> > When "Use default identity" is set in the folder preferences, is the any
> > significance to the greyed out identity?  Is it the default identity
> > being used, or just the last custom identity selected?
> >

> If you uncheck that you can choose to change it.  Since you have set it to
>  use  the default that list of identities is superfluous.

I understand why it is greyed.  I am just trying to understand if the greyed
value has any significance.

I am also trying to determine if "Use default identity" is using the
Identities settings default, or the Account settings default.

> What exactly is the problem that you are seeing?

I subscribe to some lists with my gmail account.  I keep setting the list
folders to the gmail identity, but they keep reverting to the alexion.com
identity, which is the default identity set for kmail as a whole in the
identities tab.  I have gmail set as the identity for the account (as
specified above), and Use Default Identity is unchecked and I choose gmail,
but it keeps reverting to alexion.com.

I think it is a bug, but I just want to fix it.  If using the default identity
is a work around, I will, but I want to know which default identity it means.,

Thanks for your help.

--
Art Alexion