[kdepim-users] Why is KMail so memory-hungry?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Dec 21 12:02:20 GMT 2009

On Monday, 2009-12-21, Peter wrote:

> I have noticed KMail re-indexing folders 'more than is necessary". That is,
> where there has been no changes to folders, indexing is still done (or re-
> indexing, compacting folders).  Why not take the approach, to only do that
> sort of 'work', and only if, the folders contents have been changed ? I
>  have hundreds of folders, as no doubt others also do.

This is actually what it is already doing, however, there seems to be
something else which can trigger a re-indexing.

I've experienence the same issue for a while, i.e. it didn't do that for as
long as I can remember, then (probably after an update) kept reindexing on
every startup but then (probably again after an update) returned to quick
startup.

Unfortunately I am not even sure if either of the two transitions happend at a
KMail update, it could have been when updating any other system component,
e.g. kernel, libc, whatever.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring