[kdepim-users] Reminders in KOrganizer

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Aug 23 20:23:34 BST 2009

On Sunday 23 August 2009, Louis Hinman wrote:
> I am running KMail 1.9.10 in KDE 3.5.10, which is standard in
> Slackware 12.2. (I hear that the next release of Slackware will have
> KDE 4.*.)
>
> I find a number of things in my version of KOrganizer (admittedly an
> older one) that don't seem to work exactly as described in the
> KOrganizer Handbook.
>
> Not all of these disparities are mission-critical, but here's one
> that is.  I can't get the Reminders for Events to work.  In the New
> Event dialogue, I give the Event a Title and a Start and End time.
> All that works as expected. However, if I check the Reminder box and
> specify the number of Hours, Minutes, or Days before the Event and
> click Okay, I *do not* get reminded. (If I open the Event and then
> the Advanced Reminder dialogue, I see the reminder recorded exactly
> as I have entered it.)  I've read through the KOrganizer Handbook,
> and I don't see anything that could be doing wrong.
>
> Can someone advise me?

The reminders are performed by the KOrganizer Reminder Daemon (korgac)
which should be started when you start KOrganizer and, unless you
disabled the reminder daemon, also when you start KDE. The daemon is
accessible via an icon in the system tray.

If you do not get any reminders then the reminder daemon is probably not
running. Try to start it manually from Konsole by entering 'korgac'.