[kdepim-users] Importing and Exporting Contacts

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 12 12:23:34 BST 2008

On Saturday 11 October 2008 23:51:49 Fred Frazelle wrote:
> i'd like to have my Contacts in another directory but can't figure out how
> to get Kontact to "look" for other directories.  i've exported the Contacts
> that i have and edited the fields and saved in cvs again and want to place
> this file in another subdirectory and have Kontact use it instead of the
> original one.  Can this be done? and if so, how?
>
>  Thanks for any suggestions and have a great afternoon!  :)

You could - but that sounds a long way around to me :-)

The simpler way would be to copy the existing addressbook - usually
~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf - to the required place, then open kontact at
the Contacts page and add an addressbook - the actual layout of your Contacts
page depends on the version you are using, but it shouldn't be too hard to
find the settings.  When you add an addressbook you can specify where it is to
be read from.  Calendars/diaries can be used in the same way.

While I'm about it, could I point out a couple of netiquette points?  Please
don't send html mail to mailing lists.  Few like it, and some actually bounce
your mail if you do so.  Please also unset your reply-to field.  If you send
and receive on the same address you never need it, and it messes up the ML
server, which would otherwise put the list address into that field.

Anne