[kdepim-users] Seperate 'sets' of mail boxes

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Nov 19 21:57:41 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 19 November 2008, Peter777 wrote:
> > Your  first question was how to place the mail somewhere else at
> > the file system.  It's no problem to configure it like that,
>
> I can't get it to work though.

What did you try?

> > but don't expect to have support for a very rare and unusual
> > preference!
>
> It sounds technically possible , if the 'config' parm works, to
> simply have a different config file for each email box 'set'. I would
> only ever have one instance of KMail running.

Apparently, according to your tests, KMail does not support the 'config'
parameter. To be honest, until you mentioned this parameter I didn't
even know it existed. Since I used to be the maintainer of KMail until
the begin of this year my ignorance about this parameter might explain
why it does not work in KMail. All I can say is, please submit a bug
report for this at http://bugs.kde.org.

Alternatively to using the --config option you might want to experiment
with using different KDEHOMEs, e.g. start KMail with

KDEHOME=$HOME/.kde-friends kmail
KDEHOME=$HOME/.kde-business kmail
[...]

I'm not sure how well this will work. You might have to make quite a few
settings several time.

Another alternative would be using completely different user accounts.
This way you'd not only separate your mail, but also address book,
calendar and everything else. If you want to share most of the data
between those accounts that can easily be done by creating a folder
that is accessible from all user accounts and probably some symlinks.