[kdepim-users] settings migration

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Mar 31 23:04:09 BST 2008

On Monday 31 March 2008, Caleb Cushing wrote:
> On Monday 31 March 2008 03:56:00 pm Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > Please go the easy way and copy all of ~/.kde (or even your entire
> > home folder) unless you have good reasons not to do so.
>
> ever looked in ~/.kde? lots of files in there that are inconsistant
> states. a lot of it isn't static files. copying data that is
> temporary or variable is a bad idea. I know I've tried this before.
> probably the only way to do it safely is drop the box to single no
> gui. but I don't want to do that. too much of a pain. trying to get a
> list of static files is the better idea.

I'm now using the same ~/.kde created at the end of the year 2000 for
KDE 2.something on the 5th or 6th computer and I've never run into
problems (except for a very few minor ones). Apparently, your milage
does vary. For me it would be way too much pain trying to get a list of
all the files I need to copy. Simply copying all of ~/.kde (in fact
I've always copied all of ~) is dead easy and I never had to worry
about having forgotten some important files. Of course, that's just my
opinion and my experience.

I suggest to search the archive of this mailing list because your
question has already been answered approx. a thousand times. :-)