[kdepim-users] Synchronicity

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 23 08:13:44 GMT 2008

On Saturday 22 March 2008 20:21:32 Allan Topp wrote:
> I recently bought an Asus Eee which comes with Kontact pre-installed.
>
> I finally have gotten around to using it ... and like it very much.
>
> Now I would like to start using Kontact on my "main" machine which has
> the Ubuntu OS.
>
> I have looked around and found nothing about synching Kontact on two
> (Linux) machines.
>
> Is there an "automatic" way to accomplish this?
>
> Or, should I have to literally copy files, does anyone have a working
> script?
>
> While not ideal, I really don't have a problem is always having to
> update one machine from the other (rather than an automatic writing of
> the most recent changes).
>
> Thanks in anticipation of your much valued help.

Have you considered using your main machine as an IMAP server?  The EeePC has
no problem accessing your machine in this way.  Reading mail from the server
is fairly easy to set up, and you can choose between plain IMAP. which leaves
everything on the server (you'll need to set up your EeePC kontact to save
sent-mail and Trash on the server), or dIMAP, which copies everything onto
the client box, leaving the originals on the server.  Again, mail only is
easy.  Getting the calendar and addressbook that way is more difficult.
Several of us are working on it at the moment, but temporarily I am copying
the calendar and addressbook over if I want to use them away from home.

Anne