[kdepim-users] IMAP resources - can't set up

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 17 11:52:08 GMT 2008

On Sunday 16 March 2008 18:48, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I actually never setup a kmail account on the server machine. I just did
> > it on 2 clients. Needles to say, you probably made sure that port 143
> > (tcp and udp) is open on the server, right. You are probably more
> > experienced in linux than me, but maybe you should make sure that you set
> > up saslauthd on the server machine. If it has Mandriva on it, the rpm
> > package is named as cyrus-sasl. This daemon handles authentication to the
> > imap server (cyrus in this case). You should also check to make sure your
> > preferred
> > authentication method to the imap server is saslauthd as described in the
> > documentation:
>
> I think that's probably the problem.  I believe I set dovecot to simply use
> plain text authentication.  It can handle sasl, so I'll have to read up on
> that.

Some progress.  I have added sasl authentication to postfix and dovecot, as
todumented in HowTo/PostfixAndDovecotSASL.  On the server I set the account
info to use TLS and plain text, and now the account can reload the resources.
That appears to be fixed.

On the client box I don't understand what is happening.  The login is no
longer refused, but the result is that the 'hidden' calendar file shows 75
entries (the server says there are 747) and the 'hidden' contacts file is
empty.  Neither the Calendar nor Contacts section of the pim display anything
at all.  Any thoughts?

Anne