Ambiguity of "clip"

Camille Moulin camille.moulin at free.fr
Wed Aug 23 15:49:31 UTC 2017

Hi Nicolas,
Le 23/08/2017 à 15:31, alcinos a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I second Harald's answer regarding terminology. That is what we
> currently use in the UI as well as the code-base.
>
> What do you mean by "trying to debug"?
Just identifying the origin of the problem, not actually coding ;-)
After upgrading to  17.04.3, I had a weird behaviour on a project I am
working on for quite a time : when resizing certain timeline clips, they
would shrink to 1 second or so ; that was linked to the fact that the
matching bin clip was now considered to be shorter than its real length.
Downgrading wouldn't solve the problem, but clearing cache and
regenerating proxies seems to have fixed it.

> If you are looking at the code,
I was just looking at the file content to see if I could spot any
obvious corruption: when mapping the concepts of the file to the
elements of the UI, it felt strange to have the same name for two
different things.
It seems that some attempts have been made to solve the problem, a
timeline clip is sometimes called "item" (cf. Timeline > Resize item
start|end) but, as it has not been generalized, the situation is now
suboptimal from an UX pov, with two different names for the same concept
and one name for two different concepts.

If people feel that it's something that should be addressed, I'd be
happy to help.

Cheers,
Camille