Feedback on Kdenlive 17.04.3 after latest video project

farid abdelnour snd.noise at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 04:39:33 UTC 2017

Hi Jesse

Appreciate a lot your feedback and loved the form it was done, short and
objective. More people are invited to share their experience.  :)

> Farid had requested that I make this public; hopefully JB, Vincent and the
> team can find this feedback helpful:
> My experience while editing the comedic short film "50 Shades of Earl
> Grey" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sSIRGZnFms) with Kdenlive 17.04.3
> was actually really good. It only crashed once during the 10-12 hours I was
> editing, which was awesome!
>
> Things I really liked:
> - Preview rendering was always fast.
> - Using the "Dublicate Clip with Speed Change" feature in the Project Bin
> really helped me for this project.
> - Being able to customize the layout is always a plus, helps workflow move
> like I need it to.
> - The "Custom Project Folder" field in the Project Settings proved to be
> SUPER helpful. I started this production on my primary editing desktop, and
> ended with the final render taking place on my laptop in Northern
> California. I actually keep my production projects on the Cloud for this
> very reason, and the transition was literally seamless: I saved on my
> desktop, drove to Northern California, popped open my laptop, opened the
> project, and finished up, without any glitches!
> - It was a generally solid experience. Kdenlive has come so far since the
> 0.8 and 0.9 series!

Cool.

> Things I didn't like:
> - In the effects, some, like Rotoscoping, have an awesome keyframe layout,
> where others, like the Wave effect, have a very confusing keyframe layout.
> I would prefer all effects were keyframe-able and had a layout similar to
> Rotoscoping's. (see attached screenshots)

Good point, I have seen other effects GUI issues which should be addressed
as well. Will start a phabricator thread and maybe in the future we focus a
release cycle or a GOSC/SOK on this.

- Having GPU accelleration is always a want that's been on my list for
> Kdenlive, and it would have helped in this project to smooth playback on
> clips w/ effects and decrease render time.

Looooong story....

- I still instinctively hit CTRL+S on my keyboard often during editing to
> save the project in the event of a crash. It would be nice to really nail
> down on the crashing issues, so editors aren't nervous their work is going
> to be lost.

So what was the crash you encountered? Did you managed to reproduce it? One
thing I always do is *always* run Kdenlive with GDB, that way I'll manage
to catch those nasty crashes if they appear. For me I can say that it has
been ages that I don't get a crash. But I am also always saving by habit.

- I would have used the master branch for this project, but I noticed the
> packages for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS were no longer in the master branch -- though
> they used to be. With a HUGE number of users using Ubuntu LTS releases (as
> I recently found out on Google+), it would make sense to have the PPA's
> contain packages for at least the latest LTS release, in my opinion.

We could discuss this further in the next café. Try to join us.

> EDITED ON:
> Kdenlive 17.04.3 via ppa:kdenlive/stable
> KDE Frameworks: 5.18.0
> Qt: 5.5.1
> Linux Mint 18.2 x64 (Ubuntu base)
> Cinnamon 3.4.6 Desktop Environment
> Linux kernel 4.10.0-30-generic

So, whos's next?

Cheers :D

--
1111.1010.r.i.1101|n.o.i.s.1110|i.m.1010.g.1110|مقاومة
fsf member #5439