[kdenlive] Transitions Wipe Dissolve Slide: Reverse Parameter

Harald Albrecht harald.albrecht at gmx.net
Sat Mar 26 18:08:56 UTC 2016

Dear Kdenlivers,

in the on-going discussion of Kdenlive transitions I also came across
the "dirty three" of wipe, dissolve, and slide. To me, these are the
perfect examples of crossfade transitions.

What I still find difficult to get right is the "reverse" checkbox in
the transition properties for the "dirty three". Playing around with it
I actually see that the reverse parameter is controlling whether the
transition starts with the upper track clip or lower track clip. So
instead of the "reverse" checkbox which is probably one of the bad UI
things in Kdenlive, what about having a selection box that has exactly
these two items: "from upper to lower clip" and "from lower to upper clip"?

In the future, Kdenlive might even guess the correct setting for the
reverse parameter by looking at how the transition is placed with
respect to the two clips involved. Of course, there are still situations
where Kdenlive can't correctly guess, but this wouldn't be an issue as
this would be only an initial guess and users can change it later at any
time. So, if the upper clip starts earlier than the lower clip, set
reverse to "from upper to lower clip". If the lower clip starts earlier
than the upper clip, set reverse instead to "from lower to upper clip".

In the long run, adding in-track crossfade transitions could hide this
ugly reverse parameter from users completely. An in-track crossfade
avoids the ambiguities possible with two-track crossfades. Please note
that I don't think of removing two-track crossfades, though!

Comments on this idea? Suggestions?

Best regards,
Harald