[Kdenlive-devel] off-line video editing

Slavko Glamočanin slavko at glamocanin.net
Mon Jun 22 15:14:32 UTC 2009

Dear all,

as someone already pointed out some time ago, a lot of stuff is missing in
kdenlive, specially for color grading purposes.

As i am in dire need of good grading i started hacking around for a
meaningfull workflow beyond kdenlive. (on sw to rule them all? not
necessary)

So i noticed the nice methodical way the XML project files were layed out
and had an idea:

Would it be possible to "export" a clip, or a clip in the timeline (as they
are saved in the xml) so that another software package could modify the
video and then "reimport" it? I think this is how final cut + shake do it
and it may be similar to adobe's bridge thing.

So for user interaction it would mean right clicking the clip and selecting
"edit in **** (some sw)" or "export to common media pool".

Technically it could be a commonly accesible list of media, describing
location, in-out points and other metadata. Then you could import the video
(media) in another program and edit it. For software not aware of this it
may be even as simple as loading it from a common storage (where kdenlive
would export it).

Kdenlive would then just have to support "reimport" functionality, that is
to replace a clip with another one.

Beside this heavy "common media pool" project, it would be nice just to have
replace clip functionality so we can use manual proxies (or maybe even
automatic proxies...)

Thank you for your attention and implementation ideas.

BR,
Slavko Glamocanin