[Kdenlive-devel] Next release...

Ivan Schreter schreter at gmx.net
Wed Jan 21 20:51:55 UTC 2009

Hi Alberto,

Alberto Villa wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Jean-Michel Pouré <jm at poure.com> wrote:
>
>> 2) I am sharing a project over SVN. Could it be possible to use relative
>> paths in the project. For example:
>>
> this had been discussed two months ago, and resulted in:
> 1. no relative paths, they're evil even if they may work (when i'm
> back on bugs i'll try to get rid of a last issue which saves relative
> paths in the project file)

IMHO relative paths for resources _below_ the project directory are a
must! When I create a project with several resources in same or lower
directory and move the whole project elsewhere on the disk, it would
break. Therefore, I don't think it's a clever idea to store absolute
paths at all, even considering your point #2.

Internally, you can store full paths in memory, but in XML project file,
the paths should be minimized. I.e., only enter paths relative to the
current project directory (where XML file is stored), if the resource is
under it, and maybe for other resources, which can be addressed relative
to $HOME, enter ~/<path to resource>. Resources which are completely out
of place can only be stored (correctly) via absolute paths.

But please, please, at least for project-local resources in same/lower
directory, DO store only relative paths in XML file! Absolute paths in
such case are evil - what if you are taking a project on USB stick to
your friend? You cannot open it there, since paths are all wrong! Or
sharing via repository, as Jean-Michel suggested.
> 2. automatic search powered by files hashes. it's fast, you only have
> to click twice to get your files found
> 3. a nepomuk integration (i'm still waiting to work on it) which could
> help with your problem if we define a kdenlive resource that would be
> equal across different systems... got to think about it, don't know if
> it's possible/a good idea
>
> btw, i think that the ~ shortcut should work... have a try!

Regards,

Ivan