[Kdenlive-devel] howto render ps3-compliant mp4's?

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Sun Feb 1 19:43:29 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 11:20 AM, sean darcy <seandarcy2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've captured a bunch of old vhs tapes to dv. I want to edit them and
> render to mp4 with x264 and libfaac for streaming to a ps3. In kino I
> can do this calling an export script that is a modification of the
> standard dual-pass script:
[...]
> Now some of this script is kino specific, but the ffmpeg command lines

First of all, kdenlive uses MLT inigo for rendering, which uses the
FFmpeg libs, but not the ffmpeg command line utiliity. Much of the
options you see for ffmpeg command line are usable, but not all of
them, with a slight syntax change - the same syntax you see in the
ffpresets files.

> are what I'd like for rendering from kdenlive: 2 pass , high quality ,

MLT supports dual pass, but not yet kdenlive for some reason (probably
just not got around to it yet). However, you can manually process your
.kdenlive file with inigo on the command line to do dual pass
encoding.

> level 4.1 and interlaced ( I'll let the ps3 do deimterlacing, and keep
> the video the same as the dv ). I also prefer to use the presets, since
> someone else is then responsible for keeping the presets in sync with
> ffmpeg changes, at least in theory.

AFAIK, the ffpresets are specific to the ffmpeg utility and not the
libs. However, the syntax of presets are the same as inigo's!
Therefore you should be able to do something like:

$ inigo -profile dv_ntsc some.kdenlive -consumer avformat:out.mp4
pass=1 $(cat /full/path/to/preset | xargs echo) ...

> Is there a similar script in kdenlive I can modify to accomplish this?

No, but perhaps you can make two custom export profiles that are
duplicates except for pass=1 and pass=2. Then, you'd have to run the
second one manually after the first one.

--
+-DRD-+