[Kdenlive-devel] libraw1394 depreciated

Dan Dennedy dan at dennedy.org
Tue Feb 19 20:56:54 UTC 2008

On Feb 19, 2008 12:33 PM, robcanning <robcanning at eircom.net> wrote:
> hi kyle
> thanks for the reply,
>
> Kyle Hotchkiss wrote:
> > does this have to do with redhats decision to ditch it too?
> >
> snip from http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=436416
>
> " > But if /dev/raw1394 is gone with a good reason, such is life. You
> > folks are the experts.
>
> fedora disabled due to the same concerns the old IEEE1394 stack.
>
> hmm yes, userspace seem to not have adapted yet.

yes, it has -- the juju branch of liibraw1394 is in a git tree

> that's why we prefer to do such change early in the release process.
> /dev/raw1394 was already marked deprecated for quite some time. "

I do not believe the old subsystem ieee1394 is even marked as
deprecated in the Linus kernel tree, while the new firewire (aka juju)
is still flagged experimental.

Anyways, the userspace interface that is called "raw1394" is
definitely not deprecated. There are a new set of device file nodes
that do replace /dev/raw1394 that are named /dev/fw*, but that's just
a bump in the road.

> > ok sorry... with debian and ubuntu, you sometimes have to manually
> > give it read write permission for all (sudo chmod 777 /dev/raw1394)
> no /dev/raw1934 gets created
> and you cant load the kernel module with modprobe
> not sure if there is a solution to this or if something needs to be
> changed in kdenlive.

Probably Debian has not yet picked up the patched (juju) libraw1394.
I am pretty confident that is the case by checking Debian ChangeLogs
on packages.debian.org.
Or, maybe I have failed to create a new libraw1394 that works
seamlessly with either subsystem. Oh, wait, I have failed. Sigh. It's
on my todo list, but nearly as funs as working on MLT.