[Kdenlive-devel] Recommended intermediate video format?

Stephane Fillod f8cfe at free.fr
Sun Mar 4 23:01:12 UTC 2007

Hi,

Does anyone among the Kdenlive users can recommend an intermediate format
for working with Kdenlive ?

So far, I've been using VOB format (out of the camcorder), which is space
efficient, but sometimes the non linear accesses yield somewhat
unsynchronised audio and video (bug in ffmpeg?). I've been using DV
format, but its compression ratio is really hurting my harddisk space
and I/O speed to read/write the files.

So, what would you recommend, that would be:
* space "efficient" (<100MiB/mn for PAL)
* intra-frame compression only (for clean non linear access)
* lossy but good quality (keep quality as further as possible)
* not necessarily with a real-time engine, but preview should
  be acceptable on a >1GHz class CPU.
* of course supported by kdenlive/MLT

Is there any video container for JPEG-2000 out there?
What are you people using?

Thanks in advance
--
Stéphane