[Kdenlive-devel] Daily bugs -> concept of virtual clips

Harry van der Wolf harryvanderwolf at xs4all.nl
Fri Feb 23 18:30:59 UTC 2007

jb wrote:
> Well, I was not aware of virtual clips in other editing software.
> Kdenlive's concept is quite different and more powerful in my opinion.
>
> In Kdenlive, a virtual clip is the dynamic duplicate of a section of
> your timeline. It means that you can apply transitions, filters and
> everything, they will reflect in the virtual clip. In my mind, one of
> the use of this is when you make a movie with chapters and want the same
> background for your titles, you can create a virtual clip for this, and
> then put the virtual clip as background of your titles. Then, changing
> the virtual zone will update all your chapters background.
>
> Having a virtual clip that is simply a copy of a clip with effects in it
> doesn't seem really usefull to me, you can just do copy & paste in the
> timeline, I don't see the use of having it in the project tree...
>
> Let me know what you think of this...

Hi Guys,

As JB asks for our opinion, I'd like to add mine too.

I fully agree with JB. The concept of the virtual clip as it is embedded
in kdenlive is VERY nice and VERY powerful.
I haven't seen this in other software and I have seen quit a lot of
video packages (like most members in this forum I suppose) for windows,
linux and macosx, but from the packages I've have seen none had this
option and I like it very much (even though I did not use it yet).
The way Zsolt describes a virtual clip is actually the approach for
another purpose. It is taking (multiple) subclip(s) from one and the
same big clip as most other video software can do. You can also do that
with kdenlive.
And next to that you have the virtual clip in kdenlive.

Conclusion: I like the concept of the virtual clip very much.

Kind regards,
Harry