[Kdenlive-devel] Re: [Dvdauthor-developer] Live DVD Authoring / Editing CD

Scott T. Smith scott at gelatinous.com
Fri Feb 27 00:15:21 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 00:12, qdvdauthor wrote:
> I would like to ask if some of you would be interested in putting
> together a live bootable CD (similar to, or based on Knoppix), which is
> not too bloated, say around 20-50MBytes, and has all one needs to
> author, and burn Video DVDs, VCDs, CDs et al.

not sure the point.  anyone who wants to burn DVDs/CDs will have the
media files stored somewhere, and that (probably) means they already
have an OS of some sort installed.  Wouldn't it just be easier to
compile the said programs for that OS?

> I think this would be a very interesting project. I am currently still
> in pre-alpha mode for 'Q' DVD-Author but I already get some messages
> about compile problems. With a bootable CD we could ensure that all
> applications (kdenlive, dvdauthor, kino etc.) are working propperly
> together and the user could check if it is working for him.

The fact that some users have problems compiling programs is not a
compelling reason to have Yet Another Live Distro.  In my opinion, there
are way too many live distros (I think there should be two: Knoppix, and
a tiny rescue disc).

You can always prepackage binary versions of your programs for those
that cannot compile for themselves, or specify the minimum requirements
for compiling.  Also, autoconf is your friend (be sure to distribute
pregenerated 'configure' scripts in addition to 'configure.ac' because
autoconf is very version specific)

	Scott