[Kdenlive-devel] Kdenlive on debian

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Nov 15 17:37:32 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 12 Nov 2003 2:29 pm, liebrand at apollo.nu wrote:
> > This really puzzles me, I think it might just be something strange
> > happening on your computer :-) I've checked my local tarballs for
> > kdenlive 0.2.3 and the missing source files are all there. If anyone else
> > has had this issue, please let me know and I'll check the tarballs in
> > more detail.
>
> Yes, it could very well be something on my box. However, I dont know enough
> of that build process to know if the Makefile.am ever gets changed. Seems
> odd that 'just those files' would go missing from the kdenlive_SOURCES ?

The only thing I can think of is if perhaps you had run Kdevelop on the file
at some point - since the Makefile.am has been updated by hand for several
months it would be out of sync with the kdevelop project in cvs (is it still
in cvs? I can't remember) which might overwrite it.

I'm just guessing though.

> > At the most basic level, we need the ability to select between PAL and
> > NTSC, without which we are unlikely to gain much of a user base over in
> > the USA ;-) but which options are "project specific", and which are
> > "export specific"? Here is my take on it :
> >
> > - You choose a native format for your project. This chooses the base
> > framerate, and base aspect ratio for you movie. Your choice here will
> > most likely be affected by the final export format of your movie, so
> > several presets (PAL, NTSC, 16:9, etc)  will make a lot of sense.
> >
> > - When you export the timeline to a movie, you have at your disposal all
> > of the various framerates/resolutions/etc that the export codecs provide.
> > The native project format will be hammered into whichever format you
> > choose (unless you are sensible and choose a native project format that
> > matches or export format in which case no hammering will be necessary)
> >
> > - The "resolution" of a movie while you are editing it will be determined
> > by
> >
> > the size of the monitor that you preview on; although this might not be
> > good enough when background rendering, etc. come into play.
>
> Yes, I would agree. But I think it would be good to have basic settings
> grouped in a template, so a bit more global than your suggestion. More
> targetted at what the user is going to use this project for. So more like
> when you start a new project you get to choose between (example):
> - VCD
> - SVCD
> - Web low res
> - Web high res
> - Manual configuration

By this do you just mean specifying a default export file format as well as
project format? That would make sense.

> When you export the timeline, it will use your project settings to do the
> export, showing you the configuration and thus allowing you to tweak it if
> needed. Ofcourse you can always go into the project settins and
> re-configure any of them if you please. I would imagine preview would also
> be in the same resolution as your project settings (if only to confirm what
> you are doing, and ensure your preview will look like what the export would
> look like)

Reconfiguring the project may be a lot more difficult than reconfiguring the
export, I am not sure yet. For instance, If you changed the framerate of your
project from X->Y and then back from Y->X, it is likely that, due to
shuffling clips so that they start/end on frame boundaries, the clips will
not be where they started out.

This isn't quite so bad with exporting to a different framerate to which you
edited, since you will only every perform a conversion in one direction -
framerate X->Y, and then X->Z, etc.

Cheers,
Jason

--