[Kdenlive-devel] The way for piave i18n...

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Mar 16 14:36:17 UTC 2003

On Sunday 16 Mar 2003 1:22 pm, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> On Saturday 15 March 2003 10:18 pm, CAULIER Gilles wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > It's in the title. I want translate all user messages of piave in French
> > (like kdenlive).
> >
> > It's a good idea ?
>
> Yes, I think so. But it might be much more work since piave is by no means
> ready for translation. Firt step is to think about which messages need to
> be instrumented with i18n macros. I don't think it makes sense to translate
> all the WARN() and INFO() messages, since some of them will disapear at
> some point, other might persist.
>
> Which parts of piave need translation? What do people think?

In my opinion, everything that the user sees in the normal course of running
kdenlive should be translated. That includes any error messages sent via xml,
(e.g. when the capabilities of a file cannot be determined), effect names,
effect descriptions, etc. But it does not include debug information (WARN,
INFO, etc) because they are there for the convenience of us developers and
are not aimed "at the user".

So basically, any human-readable strings that are sent to kdenlive via XML
should be translatable, and the help dialog that comes up when you type piave
--help should be translatable. Warnings, ASSERTS, development information
messages, etc. should not be translated.

Cheers,
Jason

--
Jason Wood