[Kdenlive-devel] piave: AVI DV support

Rolf Dubitzky R.Dubitzky at Physik.Tu-Dresden.de
Sun Jun 15 18:58:56 UTC 2003

On Sunday 15 June 2003 20:35, Jason Wood wrote:
> On Sunday 15 June 2003 18:22, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> One issue with embedding things directly in the gui is that it breaks the
> 'client-server' approach that we currently have

True. hmmm...

> Out of interest, what about MJpeg? What screen ratios/framerates does it
> support?

Any.

> Well, the simplest case would be where people are experimenting with video
> editing in a non-proffesional capacity.
>
> Let's take a high school kid who wants to make his own mtv-style music
> show. He's got a computer with firewire, and can use his parent's digital
> camera. He's relying on downloading videos off the web to put together his
> masterpiece, maybe video trailers off apples website, or music videos off
> gnutella/kazaa.

Err... well... I guess this kind of "non-professional" and "semi-legal" stuff
is not really where I would put my priorities. Well, it doesn't matter. I
think it would be cool to be able to edit in MPEG-2-TS. Since it is in
priciple easy to convert any apple trailer to MPEG this might be good enough.

> You could make the capture work as either a tab or a dialog with a little
> extra work (here, I mean a tab as in the way that all monitors, panels,
> etc. in kdenlive are tabs, and dialog to mean, for example, the render
> window).
>
> There is very little difference in functionality between a modeless dialog
> and a KDockWidget as used in kdenlive, except that the KDockWidget is
> slightly more generalised - you can dock it next to other widgets, hide it,
> show it (err, well that's still an outstanding issue thinking about it).
> But they work in a slightly different way in code - although it might just
> be as simple as choosing which base class you want to use, I can't
> remember.
>
> However, I have been trying to avoid modal dialogs in kdenlive, since it is
> annoying when they block the application until you close them :-) The only
> exceptions in kdenlive that I can think of at the moment are save/load and
> render dialogs.

Ah. I see, thanx.  BTW if I want to use KDevelop, which version should I use,
and is everything I need to use the GUI editors (QT designer or whatever it's
called) in CVS?

Rolf

 Rolf Dubitzky          http://hep.phy.tu-dresden.de/~dubitzky
 e-mail:         Rolf.Dubitzky at Physik dot TU-Dresden dot de