[Kdenlive-devel] Why <insert favouarte video editor here> is rubbish

Rolf Dubitzky dubitzky at pktw06.phy.tu-dresden.de
Sun Jan 12 22:26:23 UTC 2003

On Sunday 12 January 2003 11:10 pm, booker wrote:
> Am Samstag 11 Januar 2003 10:55 nachmittags/abends schrieb Rolf Dubitzky:
> > On Sat, 11 Jan 2003, booker wrote:
> Have you finally installed the protux application or just 'reading' about
> the concepts?

Just read about it, I have to admit.

> hhmmm ... but I think when we talk about 'Z'ooming, isn't the usage of the
> 'Z' key a solution which suggests itself?
> Or use the 'D' key to 'D'rag something around?

In my opinion.. certainly not. I usually don't press any keys to drag
something and I am already very confused when Alt-left-click does something
else then Ctrl-left-click or shift-left-click. How should I remember what to
press to get what action done?

> So why don't using the other hand, which is unused most of time, to
> initiate a functionality directly, without searching in a menue or moving
> the mouse to a special place?

In principle it sounds good ... if you can remember the keys...

> But I also know about the consequence .... this concept is based on english
> language, so maybe there will be no other langues for use with protux.
>
> > I wonder if you
> > get Jason to implement protux like key shortcuts,
>
> But it would be nice!! ;-)

I think I mentioned it before, but didn't I notice that you are somehow
envolved with protux? I mean this concept of JMB sounds very interesting, but
I am not yet canvinced anough to implement it my self.
Also this behaviour is very different to what people expect from a KDE
application. Anyway, I would be interested to see if it's working, so why
don't you try to implement it in kdenlive? You would need to make it an
option of course, and I can't speak for Jason, but if it is not interfering
to much with other suff, I don't see a problem with having an alternative
key-set.
 We are close to a first release, that's a good point to start to add major
new features.

Cheers,
Rolf

 Rolf Dubitzky
 e-mail: Rolf.Dubitzky at Physik.TU-Dresden.de
 s-mail see http://hep.phy.tu-dresden.de/~dubitzky/