[Kdenlive-devel] GUI

Rolf Dubitzky dubitzky at pktw06.phy.tu-dresden.de
Fri Jan 3 16:38:10 UTC 2003

On Friday 03 January 2003 05:20 pm, Jason Wood wrote:
> On Friday 03 Jan 2003 1:46 pm, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> > On Friday 03 January 2003 11:05 am, Jason Wood wrote:
> > > The buffering should definitely happen on Kdenlive's side of the
> > > communication. However, the main optimisation that I want to try first
> > > is to only send the updated parts of the scenelist - this adds another
> > > command to VEML, so I want to wait until we have released 0.1 source
> > > pacakges first.
> >
> > I would really prefere it the other way round. The fact, that kden is
> > sending the complete scenelist many time is really keeping me from
> > debugging the building of the render-tree. Updating parts of the
> > scenelist will be difficult for my part. Updating parts of the tree is
> > very complicated. PIAVE only knows about unary- and binary-nodes. The
> > scenelist is at present represented by a tree of binary-nodes. To be able
> > to update a part of the list, I will have to implement complicated tree
> > operations, or introduce sequential multi-nodes.
>
> I thought that piave handled the render as a list of trees already?

No, just a single tree. In principle you can represent everything with a
binary tree, but if you want to edit specific parts it might be simpler to
have type of node which can handle more than two inputs. This kind of node
would not know about operators, just handle sequential chunks. This is not
too difficult to implement, it was just not necessary up to now. ... hmmm ...
as I am stilll working on that... maybe I'll do that a little earlier.

> > Can't you just set some kind of flag somewhere that the scenelist was
> > modified, and when doing a 'seek' check that flag? If it's set, then send
> > the scenelist before the seek.
>
> Ok, I have done this for the moment. I don't see it as a long-term
> solution, as it means that e.g. when resizing, you wont be able to see in
> the preview window what frame you are resizing to. I admit that a short
> term solution is preferable to perfection for now though :-)

What do you mean by 'resizing'? Trimming the in/out-points of the clip? I
would not show this in the preview anyway. I would just show the frame the
cursor is pointing to and then set the in(out) point to that frame.

> > Very strange.. the scrlling is really diffrent. Sometimes the slider
> > jumps around over _many_ pixels. Can you confirm that behaviour?
>
> The only alteration to the seek command is that I tied the ruler sliders on
> the timeline and monitor together, so you should be able to "seek" with
> either of them. It is possible that you are recieving twice the numebr of
> seek commands than before - I need to check the code to confirm/disprove
> this - but other than that, it should work as before.

At this point the two sliders are somewhat redundant ... hmmm ...

> > I did 'make install'  , but without a configured prefix. The default
> > prefix seems to be '/usr/local/kde' which is ok for me. Do I need to set
> > a different prefix? If so, which one? I don't want to mix my development
> > stuff with the system installation (actually on some of the systems I am
> > testing, I am not even allowed to do that).
>
> Essentially, KDE has a directory which contains all of the configuration
> details for the various applications. If you install the kdenlive
> configuration files somewhere else, then you have to tell KDE where to find
> them. It is possible, because you haev to do this if you install two
> versions of KDE on your system (say, 3.0 and CVS) and want to keep them
> seperate. BUt I'm not sure how you do it - I think there is an environment
> variable that you need to set.
>
> On Mandrake, the KDE direcotry defaults to /usr, so kdenlive global
> configuration files end up in /usr/share/apps/kdenlive/

That means that I have to install kdenlive to /usr ???
Or can I set some environment variable?

> > or  <stillcolor yuvcolor="#000000" />
>
> Ok, you should recieve these now instead of empty scenes.
>
> Committing now...

Cool, that's quick !!! checking out now... ;-)

Cheers,
Rolf

 Rolf Dubitzky
 e-mail: Rolf.Dubitzky at Physik.TU-Dresden.de
 s-mail see http://hep.phy.tu-dresden.de/~dubitzky/