[Kdenlive-devel] Storyboard_2 in scene format.

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Nov 22 16:19:55 UTC 2002

On Friday 22 Nov 2002 3:50 pm, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> > If I passed everything as one scene, then it would be
> > suboptimal for the GUI and calculating what has been rendered previously,
> > but it would still work.
>
> No, I disagree ;-) That's why I bother to discuss this at all. From the
> renderer's perspective it won't matter anyway as you say. I just think from
> the GUI point of view you'll gain a lot of simplicity if you don't have to
> split (at least complex sequences) into seperate selfcontaining scenes.
> Maybe it's my lack of coding for the GUI, but what makes sequences with
> overlapping elements more optimal than a tree for the GUI?

The project format of Kdenlive is different from either the scene format or
Piave's format. From what I can tell, either translation is going to be just
as easy to accomplish.

The generation of scenes is not really for the benefit of the GUI - it is for
the benefit of the pattern matching scheduler (still to be written :-) ),
which will look at the render list, search for areas of it that have already
been rendered, and replace them with the pre-rendered versions.

It sounds like a lot of work, and if you tried to implement this using the xml
structure that Piave is currently using, as we would have to implement a full
pattern checking algorithm ourselves.

By using scenes, you can simply compare the XML tree generated by one scene to
the XML tree generated by another scene. If they are identical, then we know
we don't have to re-render :-)

This is going to be very useful if you have a piece of footage with effects
that you use multiple times (but don't want to render down because you might
change those effects), it is useful for implementing undo functionality, as
we don't need to keep track of what is and isn't in the scene render cache
(yet more functionality in the future)

> > So we can continue coding towards our high priority goals whilst
> > discussing it
>
> Great ;-) Agreed ;-)
>
> So let's make the following milestone 2.
>
> <scene duration="20.0">
>         <input file="avchunk1" inpoint="0.0" outpoint="20.0"/>
> </scene>
> <scene duration="20.0">
>         <input file="avchunk2" inpoint="5.0" outpoint="25.0"/>
> </scene>
>

> where milestone 1 would then be <createWin  ... > <play...> <quit>
>
> What do you think?

Fine by me, I am going to work on the client interface within Kdenlive first,
before I start looking at rewriting nullcutter.

Cheers,
Jason

--
Jason Wood