[Kdenlive-devel] Communication between GUI and Cutter

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Nov 8 17:48:30 UTC 2002

On Friday 08 Nov 2002 5:23 pm, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> > The main concern that I have with sockets is that by being low-level, we
> > are going to be reinventing the wheel to quite a degree, and that anyone
> > else who cannot use the BaseCutter class will have to rewrite their own
> > implementation. That is why I want to offload most of the work out of
> > BaseCutter into some standard library that already exists.
>
> I thought the plan was to pass a plain ASCII XML 'document' via the socket.
> Both sides can then use their preferred XML parser. QDom for KDE or libxml2
> for GNOME...

That is the plan for passing the main bulk of information around, but the part
of the interface I am talking about here is how to request that information,
and how to recieve it.

A number of simple requests will be made, such as is already the case. Things
such as "create video window", "play", "stop", "quit" and the like.

At the moment, the interface in nullcutter is very simple :

<command> <parameter>\n

Where newline denotes a new command. The reply works in a similar fashion.
This works fine when the parameter is a single integer, or a boolean value
but soon becomes unwieldy if you try and send XML data in the same way :-)
Rather than coming up with our own way to handle the communication, I'd much
rather use one that is ready-made and mature. Then, we don't have to worry if
we are sending integers, strings, xml data or any other format.

Cheers,
Jason

--
Jason Wood