[Kdenlive-devel] Survey among filmmakers

Christian Berger einStein at donau.de
Mon Jun 10 11:39:48 UTC 2002

Jason Wood schrieb:

> On Wednesday 05 Jun 2002 1:05 pm, Christian Berger wrote:
> > > So, a scrolling title effect, basically. Fading titles will be handled
> > > using the standard "fade" effect, so I don't think this will be too much
> > > hassle.
> >
> > Well probably your users interface should automatically generate titles
> > and scroll them.
>
> Agreed
>
> > > Looks ok, I am still trying to concentrate on the user interface, so I'll
> > > leave these details in your capable hands...
> >
> > Thanks, but a lot of what I've specified is relevant to you. Like the
> > audio channel layout, or all the comments beeing in ISO 10646 (32 bit
> > UNICODE)
>
> I'm not sure what the comments are supposed to hold - is it the equivalent of
> the tags in an mp3 file describing artist, title, etc?

Yes, it's meant to be the equivalent of the label on casettes. So you
know what the file is about when you find it laying around somewhere.
You can also use those data for automatic archive systems and all. Maybe
later we could add "link" tags in the texts so you can click on a text
and automatically see the scene or something.

> Audio format will not be relevant to the user interface. The UI does not need
> to know anything about the internal workings of a codec. It merely needs to
> be able to query the codec to retrieve relevant information; length of the
> clip is the only one that I have decided on so far. I'm guessing that
> determining framerate would be useful for informational purposes, though I
> don't think the UI will use it - it will be working to the framerate the user
> wants the final cut to be at.

Well it is possible for you to know we have up to 32 channels per file,
and each channel can have a name.

> I think it is necessary for the codec to be able to seek() to a particular
> location, and also to tell the UI what is there - for instance, I will be
> writing or finding a program which will take an Audio file and generate it's
> waveform, and an equivalent for video which would take thumbnails.

Yep, I see, maybe we can do this with little "plugins" consisting of
binary executables and throught piping. This is the most portable
solution I think. And it makes it really easy to add new codecs like for
accessing VCRs. It would even make it possible to put the codec
completely into hardware and access it over the serial port or
something. Or put the codec on a more powerfull machine.

> > Thanks, I'm not really experienced with cvs, but when the time comes
> > I'll proably learn.
>
> It's like most of unix - it's got a steep learning curve where you type random
> things in out of tutorials and haven't a clue what's happening, and then
> suddenly it all clicks into place and you can't for the life of you figure
> out what was so hard about it ;-)

Good :)

> > Servus
> >   Casandro