[Kdenlive-devel] File format definition

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jul 8 01:41:29 UTC 2002

On Saturday 06 Jul 2002 11:15 pm, Christian Berger wrote:
> I've now found a great reason for my non-constant-framerate technique, you
> can even work with non-perfect material. In real live you don't get your
> constant 25 fps but sometimes no frames for several seconds (in case of bad
> scratches), sometimes more than 25 fps (if the tape runs to fast). In
> conventional systems you get serious sync problems.

Hmm... I don't think that the codec will really be able to take advantage of
this kind of stuff. However, a better reason for having non-constant
framerates would be so that, for example, if you purposefully speed up or
slow down a clip in an effect, the codec merely changes the framerate, rather
than calculating the pictures to be shown. This means that if you played
something in slow motion, the resultant file would only be the same length as
if you had played it at full speed.

> To be honest I still don't have KDE3. Last time I've tried the files from
> my distributor didn't work, and I cannot retry will next week since I'm
> going to record a movie on monday and therefore need any space I can get.
> http://www.wdr.de/themen/kultur/1/millionenspiel/index.jhtml

There is really not that much of a rush for you to install kde3 at the moment.
The user interface still doesn't do anything particularly exciting yet.

Cheers,
Jason

--
Jason Wood