[Kdenlive-devel] GUI

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Dec 30 19:49:24 UTC 2002

On Monday 30 Dec 2002 2:31 pm, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> On Saturday 28 December 2002 10:34 pm, Jason Wood wrote:
> > This is not that essential at the moment - it is _very_ easy to fiddle
> > around with the layout of the menus and toolbars in a KDE application -
> > you don't even need to recompile! So we can try different layouts and see
> > which works best.
>
> Ok, I just wrote down everything that came to my mind, with no partcular
> priority

Heh, no matter, keep the suggestions coming -) Incidentally, if you feel like
playing with the menu/toolbar structure, it is all held in kdenliveui.rc.
Standard menu items (open, save, save as, etc.) aren't in there - a safeguard
so that all KDE apps have a consistant menu structure.

> > This all needs discussion, I am a little unsure as to the best way to
> > handle the monitor from this point on. The way I see it, there are two
> > possibilities
> >
> > 1. Have the monitor have two modes. In one mode, it displays the entire
> > timeline for previewing purposes. IN the other mode, it only shows the
> > currently selected clip, which can be trimmed and dragged to the
> > timeline.
> >
> > 2. Have a separate monitor for each mode.
> >
> > Which do people prefer? Are there any other options?
>
> How about only a single mode in which the monitor window displays whatever
> timeinterval is selected in the timeline.
> Here is how MovieDV works:
>  There are two different kinds of 'Selections' in the timeline. First, you
> can select a clip, or mor clips and drag them around, (that's what kdenlive
> can do alrready). Second, you can select 'time intervals' by
> clicking/draging in the ruler (not the timeline opbjects). If you then
> press 'play', you'll get a preview of the interval you have selected. If
> there is an eaay way (context-menu/button) to 'Select All' in the timeline
> ruler, then you can watch the whole thing.

When you preview an interval, can you manipulate it in any way? The main
interface feature I am concerned about here is the setting of in/out points
on a clip that is to be inserted into the timeline. In Premier, this is
handled by dragging it to a monitor, setting the in/out and dragging it to
the timeline. How does it work in MovieDV?

> > > - Why are there so many Video Tracks in the timeline even if I just
> > >   use one? Isn't one more than currently in use enough?
> >
> > Just because ;-)
>
> ;-) Ok, I agree that we need at least three to show that we can (read: want
> to) do more than just A/B-track editing ;-))

Hell yes :-)  But all of the plans and design is in place for editing on
multiple tracks, so it might take a while before we manage it, but it
shoudln't require any major refactoring efforts to get there ;-)

Cheers,
Jason

--
Jason Wood