How do I get lost windows back?

Andy B anditosan1000 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 20:42:09 GMT 2024

On Fri, Mar 1, 2024 at 2:59 PM hw <hw at adminart.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 2024-02-21 at 07:58 +0000, Duncan wrote:
> > hw posted on Tue, 20 Feb 2024 17:54:27 +0100 as excerpted:
> > > Why does this happen[1], how can I prevent it from happening, and how
> do
> > > I get the lost window back?
> >
> > It looks like you already got an answer to this so I'll skip it.  (The
> > post is long enough...)
>
> I still don't know why it happened.  After some doing I managed to get
> the window back, but that windows get arbitrarily get moved off the
> display shouldn't happen at all.
>
> > > [1]: I think I moved it into the top left corner to see if it would be
> > > maximised and/or get tiled and then it somehow disappeared.  In System
> > > Settings-->Workspace Behaviour-->Screen Edges,
> >
> > FWIW, different path in plasma6. (plasma) system settings > input &
> output
> > > mouse & touchpad > screen edges.
>
> It says KDE Plasma Version 5.27.10 in the settings.
>
> > > both options were enabled
> > > at the same time by default.  That doesn't seem to make sense,
> > > and I turned the Maximizing off.
> >
> > I believe you're misunderstanding the configuration.  It does make
> sense,
> > and here's how:
>
> Ok that's a really long explanation, and it's not what I'm talking
> about.  I hope I can attach a screenshot.
>
> What I'm talking about is having both the checkboxes enabled for
> Maximize and Tile at the same time.  Both of them are for when
> dragging windows.  That doesn't make sense: The windows that are being
> dragged can only be maximized or tiled, not both at the same time.
>
> And I still don't know what the Behaviour thing is about.  That whole
> thing needs quite a lot of work before it might become understandable
> by users.

Hi all,

I wanted to request that we move this topic to the specific channel for it.
Given this relates to UI/US, please come to the VDG channel located here:

https://go.kde.org/matrix/#/#visualdesigngroup:kde.org

kde at mail.kde.org is more of a general inbox and sends messages to a very
wide audience.

Let's work with your specific request through the VDG team.

Thank you.

--
Andy (anditosan)