UPDATE: After upgrade to Debian testing (trixie/sid): plasmoids still don't work, KDE doesn't find sound devices.

A. F. Cano afc54 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 21 19:51:34 BST 2023

On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 01:09:36PM +0200, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> >  This package contains client libraries allowing programs designed for
> >  the ALSA, JACK and PulseAudio APIs to use a PipeWire server for audio
> >  playback and recording. They are not used by default, and are currently
> >  considered to be experimental.
>
> >From what I heard they work fine (for everyday use at least).
>
> >But it depends on pipewire-alsa which, even after selecting it, aptitude
> >refuses to install.  It fixes the dependency problem by not installing
> >either.
>
> Aptitude does usually (or can) tell you why it won't install something.
> Have you tried with asking it to install just pipewire-alsa?

That did it.  After I uninstalled pulseaudio and a few other pulseaudio
related packages that were producing dependency conflicts.

> Strange that that package isn't installed btw! There are alternatives
> to ALSA but AFAIK they're older and presumable less advanced.

Might be because of the 2 upgrades I did in short order: Debian 11 to 12
and then 12 to testing.  Things that should have been cleaned up
obviously weren't.

Anyway, now KDE sees the audio devices.

Thanks for the guidance.

Augustine