Can not pre-configure Plasma bottom panel nor Dolphin with Kiosk

Yvan Masson yvan at masson-informatique.fr
Mon Apr 3 11:18:13 BST 2023

Hi list,

This question should probably go to enterprise at kde.org, but it seems
there was no activity there since 2019. Also, I already asked on
discuss.kde.org
(https://discuss.kde.org/t/can-not-configure-plasma-bottom-panel-nor-dolphin-with-kiosk/329),
but I got no answers yet.

I am trying to configure some default settings to be able to deploy KDE.
I am doing my tests with Debian “hopefully-soon-stable” 12 (Plasma
5.27.2). I follow the kiosk mode documentation, and it works properly
for some settings (night color, baloo search, power management, Discover).

However, I have very strange results when trying to configure the bottom
panel:

- From a new user with default settings, I customize the panel (changing
some applications shortcuts, disabling clipboard)
- Using `fswatch`, I could determine that the relevant configuration
file is `~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc`
- If I copy this file to `/etc/xdg/`, my settings are not applied to new
users (while it works for other files like `kscreenlockerrc`)
- As a workaround, if I copy this file to `/etc/skel/.config/`, settings
are applied to new users BUT the panel gets a height of 30 instead of 44
(the default).

Also, a somewhat similar issue is for configuring Dolphin (toolbar, left
panel, right panel, detailed view by default):

- I found that the relevant files is
`~/.local/share/kxmlgui5/dolphin/dolphinui.rc` (strangely
`/etc/dolphinrc` does not seem to contain the settings I am interested in)
- If I copy this file to `/etc/xdg/dolphinui.rc`, my settings are not
applied for new users
- After copying this file to
`/etc/skel/.local/share/kxmlgui5/dolphin/dolphinui.rc`, settings are
indeed applied to new users except “overview in right panel” and
“detailed view by default”

What am I doing wrong? I suppose I missed something from the
documentation, but could not find what. Any help would be greatly
appreciated!

Regards,
Yvan