virtuoso-t constantly segfaulting

Thomas Tanghus thomas at tanghus.net
Fri Jan 31 01:50:33 GMT 2014

On Thursday 30 January 2014 21:39 Duncan wrote:
> > I did not know akonadictl had that option! Will try it as soon as I get
> > back.
> >

> > I now see that it also has a 'vacuum' option, but the help text just
> > says "Vacuum internal storage". Do you have any idea what it does?
>
> Active databases (and filesystems, which work similarly) typically create
> and delete a lot of records/files.  Akonadi deals with messaging, so
> consider email and IM messages as they come in, with a lot of them being
> spam and thus often deleted.  But for performance reasons most databases
> and filesystems don't normally entirely wipe all those deleted records
> (files) at the time of deletion; they simply mark them as deleted in
> their index(s) somewhere and continue.

Thanks for the very detailed explanation Duncan. I wasn't familiar with the
"vacuuming" term, but the assumptions I made seemed to be right.

In another matter, @Gene:
> Interesting Duncan, but my old 10.04.4 LTS version of it doesn't seem to
> recognize that and doesn't do anything but throw a help screen, so I have
> to stop, and restart kmail at least daily or it just gets slower and
> slower.  I assume the effect is the same?

"but my old 10.04.4 LTS version"

Gene, old lad, you're one LTS behind. I appreciate conservatism to a certain
degree, but you really need to upgrade.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Thomas Tanghus