KMail: repeated lockups

Thomas Tanghus thomas at tanghus.net
Mon Jan 27 00:31:22 GMT 2014

On Monday 27 January 2014 00:24 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
> Hey list
>
> I was hoping you could shed some light on this. While my main mailer is
> mutt, I occasionally open KMail to use some of my IMAP accounts.
>
> Whenever I'm using it (reading mail, composing text), there are regular
> lockups in the GUI. I get a CPU core loaded with a background service
> (the bar shows the colour for nice'd processes).
> While this occurs, I can type on, but the letters would only appear in
> the composer once the lockup is gone.
>
> Is that Akonadi again? How can I put an end to it (short of not using
> KMail)?
>
> I'm running a 32 bit Gentoo with KDE 4.12.1 at the moment, but I don't
> know with which version it started. I could check later whether my main
> PC with a 64 bit Gentoo has the same issue.
>

> Thanks for any hints.

If you like I are subscribed to several mailing lists, and get sometimes
hundreds of mails every day, Akonadi has some catching up to do if you only
fire up KMail occasionally. On my desktop PC I have no problems, because it
syncs all the time, but when I have to travel and use my laptop I usually
start it up and sync mails before leaving. If you have enabled disconnected
mode that is indeed needed as it not only syncs the headers but also the mail
bodies, and that can use quite some resources, even if it has considerately
dropped the past years as Akonadi has matured.

Being a relatively early adopter of KMail2/Akonadi I found it useful to always
have akonadiconsole running as that would both allow me to restart agents, but
also keeps mail in sync.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Thomas Tanghus