Akonadi acting up (again)

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Fri Sep 27 14:06:11 BST 2013

On Friday, 2013-09-27, John Woodhouse wrote:
> Sorry Kevin but I think you have missed the point on the not relevant
> aspect. Entire post this time really.

Not at all.
I was replying to a part of a mail that introduced development aspects such as
programming paradigm and code-reuse.
Users of KDE software can be quite advanced or even be developers themselves,
so it made sense to respond to those items with the appropriate details.

> have this effect. On the other hand this is not always the case. Makes me
> feel that there are 2 forms of writing C++ software, OOPs and OOP.

I am not aware of a paradigm names OOPs, but C++ supported development along
the lines of many paradigms, usually used in a mixture of them.
It is mostly imperative programming, often object oriented, but also sometimes
functional.

> http://cmollekopf.wordpress.com/2013/02/13/kontact-nepomuk-integration-why-
> data-from-akonadi-is-indexed-in-nepomuk/

> From this it seems I may well be using KDE4 file indexing even with it
> turned off.

Very unlikely.
The approach described in Christian's blog does not involve file indexing
either.

> The problem with using inactivity as a trigger was demonstrated when it
> was forcibly used on SuSe to spin down the disks. As things stand there is
> no way of determining when an inactive period will end.

Yes, but it is a starting point for doing the necessary work when it is least
intrusive. They do employ other techniques as well AFAIK.

> It also seems that if I really do disable indexing I may loose my digital
> clock and perhaps one or two other things. The clock sounds like someone
> thinking wouldn't it be nice to use .... to me.

I would be surprised if the clock applet interacts with the index in any way.
But I am not on the most recent workspace release.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring