cannot cut/copy with dolphin

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Oct 29 09:15:32 GMT 2013

Kishore Jonnalagadda posted on Mon, 28 Oct 2013 17:36:40 +0530 as
excerpted:

> On Monday 28 Oct 2013 10:31:12 AM Duncan wrote:
>> Kishore Jonnalagadda posted on Mon, 28 Oct 2013 14:06:53 +0530 as
>>
>> excerpted:
>> > I can't be sure from when this problem occurs but its quite recent.
>> > I'm on KDE 4.11.2 and i cannot cut or copy files in dolphin with
>> > either the context menu or the CTRL+C and CTRL+V shortcuts.

>> > When i try to cut a file, the file briefly becomes light shaded (like
>> > it usually does when a file or folder is cut) but then restores
>> > itself to the normal icon in about a second. When i click copy on any
>> > file i do not get the paste option like i would expect it to. I do
>> > notice that klipper updates the file path each time i try to cut or
>> > copy.
>> >
>> > Do anybody know what could lead to this?
>>
>> That's a very interesting problem.  I have little idea what this issue
>> might be, but the fact that it exists for your normal user but NOT for
>> a new user indicates it HAS to be something in your normal user's
>> config.
>>
>> That means the problem should be resolvable by bisection. =:^)

> Thanks Duncan! Indeed i followed a similar process and came down to
> kdeconnect. kdeconnect allows your computer to pair with itself which is
> strange! Pairing with itself was the source of the problem. I don't know
> the technical reason behind it but i think it has to do with
> kdeconnect's feature of sharing the clipboard.

Indeed, I /did/ have not the foggiest idea what the issue was!  I don't
use software such as kdeconnect (I do use ssh in a text terminal
occasionally, but I don't even use X forwarding with it), so wouldn't
have guessed that for sure!

But if it has a clipboard sharing mechanism, and the idea is to allow
remote connects, then yes, it stands to reason that it'd disable file cut/
copy/paste across the shared clipboards, and if you're effectively
connected to yourself, then yes, that'd probably disable it there, too!

That's surely one for the archives!  Who knows when someone else will
post with the same issue, and I'll look like a genius posting a solution
like this out of left field, if it actually happens to be their problem
too (tho I'll be sure to say it's not original to me but came from a
kdeconnect or the like)!  So thanks for the followup, who knows when
it'll come in handy, and /I'd/ surely not have thought of that on my own!
=:^)