dolphin: cd9e50ae4f / 4.10.3 breaks opening remote URLs from command line

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Nov 8 08:54:03 GMT 2013

Sven Brauch posted on Fri, 08 Nov 2013 03:31:14 +0100 as excerpted:

> Is it possible that cd9e50ae4f3ded breaks opening remote URLs from CLI,
> like dolphin ftp://foo.com/? For me this doesn't work any more since
> 4.10.3. Which is not ideal, since my application relies on being able to
> do this. ;)

While I make no claims to being a dev, just a (gentoo) sysadmin, who can,
sort of, with the help of both code comments and git commit descriptions
read a bit of code here and there and can thus sometimes decipher
patches/commits...

Confirming, here on 4.11-branch (via git), updated as of a few days ago,
opening ftp URLs in dolphin does indeed appear to be broken.

One way to be sure would be to revert that commit (either in your git
clone or by reverse-applying that commit as a patch), build, and see!
That's what I'd do here. =:^)

Meanwhile, such remote URLs are of course handled in kde via ioslaves, so
perhaps the ioslave is broken... except that entering an ftp URL in
dolphin itself continues to work, so a broken ioslave can't be the
problem.

I'd test in konqueror as well if I had it installed, but I don't.
However, gwenview ftp://ftp.kernel.org still works (altho since gwenview
only shows image and optionally video files that's obviously not
particularly practical, but directory trees can be browsed, just not
actual files except images/video, so it's sufficient for our test).

So the ioslave definitely appears to be working just fine.  And dolphin
can browse ftp when entered on its address line just fine.  So it's just
dolphin's handling of remote URLs via commandline that's broken.  And
taking a look at that commit, to my admittedly inexpert eye, it sure does
look like it could be the culprit.

**BUT**, the git commit description for cd9e50 says...

FIXED-IN: 4.11.3

... while you said the problem has existed since 4.10.3.  Either that's
not the problem commit, or you meant 4.11.3 but typed 4.10.3.  (Were the
date on the commit different it could possibly have been backported to
4.10 as well, but kde upstream was long done with 4.10 on Oct 13, 2013,
so if it has been backported, it's by a downstream such as your distro...
or you.)

Meanwhile, assuming you have konqueror or something similar installed,
I'd suggest substituting it for dolphin on your commandline.  firefox
ftp://ftp.kernel.org appears to work, here. =:^)