Move KDE (kate, kwrite) editor backup ~ files?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Mar 26 11:35:34 GMT 2013

Mihamina Rakotomandimby posted on Tue, 26 Mar 2013 12:51:08 +0300 as
excerpted:

> On 2013-03-26 12:43, adrelanos wrote:
>> I often grep through my files and having duplicate results is a tiny
>> bit bothersome. The backup files are rarely used, so having them in one
>> big directory instead of next to the original file would be better.
>>
>> Is there such a setting?
>

> I would go for a grep setting:
> http://www.google.com/search?q=recursive+grep+ignore+files
>
> This is eased by an alias in the shell you use.
> This grep tip is used by Emacs for instance.

Alternative #2, create a script that uses find to move anything matching
your backup pattern where you want it, and either run that routinely
(maybe daily, or at the beginning or end of every task session), or set
up a grep script that runs the find-and-mv before the grep.

Alternative #3, if you're sufficiently confident in your editing skills
not to need the backups in the normal case, and in your recognition of
files that you want to be extra safe with and thus create backups for,
turn off the backups by default feature, and simply create the backup
yourself before editing the file, where the file's vital enough that a
backup will be useful.  That way you can put the backup where you want,
and you only have backups for the files you really need backups for.
This is what I've been doing here for years.  Sure, very occasionally I
make a mistake, but in that case I usually have an older version of that
file from a global filesystem backup.  And in the /extremely/ rare case I
don't have a backup at all, I just live with it.  That happens maybe a
couple times a decade, and at that frequency, recreating those mistakes
from scratch is less work and hassle than that of constantly deleting the
essentially valueless automated editor-backups all the time.

Of course I got into computers before the trashcan/recycle-bin idea got
popular, so I normally turn that off for the same reason.  Once you're
used to working without a net unless you set it up yourself, the
automated net's are generally more trouble than they're worth, because if
it really matters you're used to setting up your own net (making a
backup) anyway, and where it doesn't matter, they're simply a constant
hassle.