notify-send longer timeout? libnotify replacement?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Wed Mar 6 17:03:50 GMT 2013

On Wednesday, 2013-03-06, adrelanos wrote:
> Kevin Krammer:
> > On Wednesday, 2013-03-06, adrelanos wrote:
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> notify-send -t 600000 test
> >> it always times out after 5 seconds.
> >>
> >> It's a known bug in libnotify and won't get fixed. [1]
> >>
> >> Can KDE (on Debian Wheezy) use some alternative to libnotify where
> >> longer timeouts are possible?
> >
> > I just glanced at the bug report but as far as I can tell it is the
> > receiver of the notification that ignores the timeout.
>
> So if I understand this right, even if I managed to somehow get
> notify-send and/or kdialog --passivepopup to use xfce4-notifyd, I would
> still end up with the hardcoded timeout of 5 seconds because that's
> hardcoded in libnotify?

I don't know, I haven't read all comments of the bug report.
At the beginning someone claimed that notify-OSD would ignore timeouts but
notification-daemon would not.
So it might not be something a library decides or they are using different
libraries.

> xfce4-notifyd is frontend? And not the backend causing this hardcoded
> timeout?

I would assume that it is a backend (name ending in d suggesting it is a
daemon, i.e. a runtime infrastructure component).

> Are there any receivers I could use as replacement for libnotify?

No idea, KDE's notification server doesn't use libnotify, neither does
kdialog.

Since I am running Debian as well (libnotify-bin 0.7.5-2) and as I said before
your example call seems to work well here on KDE 4.8.4 (Qt 4.8.2).
I would have expected that Wheezy has the same versions right now.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring