Is it normal that text in the clipboard gets lost?

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 18:03:20 BST 2013

There's something that always bugged me a bit with the clipboard.  I
don't know whether it's a bug or intended behavior.  It goes like this:
when I open an application, select some text in it, then copy it to the
clipboard with Ctrl+C, then close the application and finally try to
paste the text from the clipboard into somewhere else, there's nothing
to copy.  At the moment I closed the application I copied the text from,
the clipboard contents die.

This is surprising, since "copying to the clipboard", at least on every
other OS I'm using, really means "copying".  Even if the application the
text came from goes away, the copied text is still in the clipboard.  Is
this a bug?