The proper way to copy all datas and settings from one computer to another?

Nathan England nathan at nmecs.com
Thu Apr 12 07:42:43 BST 2012

On Tuesday, April 10, 2012 08:11:20 Maxime Haselbauer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> What is the right way to copy all datas and settings from one computer to
> another? i.e
> I have two computer one called netbook and another one called inspiron both
> 32 bit Kubuntu 11.10 Kde 4.8.x
>
> I wanted to transfer everything from netbook to inspiron, also I used an
> external Hardrive where I store everything from ~/ of netbook (inclusvie
> hidden files) and then I copy it from the hard drive to inspiron back

I assume you want something like

rsync -av username at netbook:/home/username username at inspiron:/home/username

That will sync all between the two machines. Alternatively you could connect
the external drive to your netbook and mount it under mount. Then assuming you
have a folder on the external drive for transfering your user stuff you could
do this:

>From the netbook:
rsync -av /home/username/ /mnt/userbackup/

Then connect the external drive to the inspiron and run:
rsync -av /mnt/userbackup/ /home/username/

Hope that helps!

--

Regards,

Nathan England

NME Computer Services http://www.nmecs.com
Nathan England (nathan at nmecs.com)
Systems Administration / Web Application Development
Information Security and Consulting
(480) 559.9681