KRunner web shortcuts with other browsers than Konqueror

Álvaro Villalba Navarro vn.alvaro at gmail.com
Wed May 11 17:34:19 BST 2011

2011/5/11 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net>

> Kevin Krammer posted on Wed, 11 May 2011 17:39:00 +0200 as excerpted:
>
> > On Wednesday, 2011-05-11, Álvaro Villalba Navarro wrote:
> >> Hi list,
> >> Web shortcuts is one of the functions of krunner I use most, and rekonq
> >> the browser I would like to use as default and which I would like
> >> krunners web shortucts to be opened by.
> >> Configuring KDE to use rekonq as default browser (for any http/https
> >> content) works fine, but I like the behaviour of "an application based
> >> on the URL content" configuration. So, I configured KDE to open
> >> 'application/xhtml+xml' files with rekonq, but nor shortcuts neither
> >> bookmarks opens with rekonq, but with konqueror. Do any of you know if
> >> there is any other mime-type that must be bound with rekonq (or any
> >> other browser)?
> >
> > Check the settings for Web browser in Systemsettings -> Standard
> > Components
>
> FWIW, kcontrol (systemsettings that aren't systemsettings, certainly in
> this case), workspace appearance and behavior, default applications, here
> (kde 4.6).
>
> But it looks to me like he has tried that, or he'd not know about the "in
> an application based on the contents of the URL" setting, that he says he
> likes in general.  Maybe the presumably 4.7-pre trunk you are using
> changes the names and/or how it behaves, from 4.5/4.6?

Yes, I already tried that, and rekonq is the default browser for all
~html files, except for the krunner web shortcuts and bookmarks.

> But... AFAIK (I only tried it the other day and decided konqueror was more
> my style, so I've not used it much, but the docs say...) rekonq uses
> standard kde settings for many things, including mime-types.  If that's
> true, then in theory the results should be pretty much the same regardless
> of whether it's set to use rekonq or konqueror.  (Firefox, for example,
> would be a different matter entirely, since it uses its own mimetype
> configuration.)  Embedding vs. open-in (as a separate app), and whether
> save-to-disk is prompted or not, should be the same regardless of whether
> it's konqueror or rekonq used as the general browser.
>
> That's the theory.  But again, I only tried rekonq for a little while, and
> didn't actually set it as the default browser, so I'm not sure if it works
> that way in practice or not.

By default KDE comes with the html mime-type bound to konqueror in first
place. I changed the 'application/xhtml+xml' to use rekonq, but it seems is
not enough for shortcuts and bookmarks.
> --
> Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
> "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
> and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman

Álvaro Villalba Navarro