kde-4.6.1

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Mar 8 11:19:45 GMT 2011

On Tuesday, March 08, 2011 06:09:29 AM Duncan did opine:

> gene heskett posted on Mon, 07 Mar 2011 23:52:47 -0500 as excerpted:
> > Sorry, there was so much mucked up, I was overwhelmed myself.  If
> > there is only one thing wrong, its a lot easier to try & fix that
> > than when there are 4 or 5 things wrong, and a reboot throws 3 hours
> > work looking for and trying to set stuff, away.  Frustrated would be
> > an
> > understatement.
>
> FWIW, that's about where I was with kde 4.2.4, which is where I switched
> from kde3, as upstream kde wasn't supporting kde3 any more, insisting
> 4.2 was ready for the masses, and with upstream kde dropping it, so
> were the distributions, save for trailing edge years-outdated distros.
> Of course, 4.2 was in reality not even beta quality (where beta is
> traditionally defined as functionally complete, just very buggy, but
> there were huge holes in the functionality still!)
>
> If you go back to that period and look, I was NOT a happy camper!

ISTR there was a bit of exasperation in your posts back then.

> Meanwhile, things /should/ be more or less calmed down by now.  But
> plasma... still bugs out for some people and under some circumstances
> (it did with me for 4.5, and I ended up hand-editing the config files
> to get it back, but learned my lesson, back them up before I go
> experimenting with more activities! very possibly the reason I've been
> fine so far with 4.6, as I had hand-edited out the cruft and haven't
> played around with it much since as I've been afraid to), and
> phonon-xine... well, it's sort of deprecated and definitely buggy, but
> for whatever reason, it's still the default phonon backend in many
> distributions.  <shrug>

I reset that backend to vlc, and now I have audio, with a gain control
again.  Whoopee! But inotifywait seems to have gone on strike, something in
my startup script for that probably isn't right yet.  I use that to notify
kmail when there is a new incoming mail in /var/spool/mail.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)