kde-4.6.1

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Mar 8 04:52:47 GMT 2011

On Monday, March 07, 2011 11:30:55 PM Duncan did opine:

> [...]
> appears on all desktops) or windows, depending on my mood (tho I
> usually use alt-tab). As a result, I don't have a lot of specific
> experience with the task manager plasmoid, since I removed it pretty
> fast.  However, some plasmoids behave differently on the desktop (in an
> activity) then they do in a panel, so that might be what you're
> referring to as "incomplete".  Also, from what I've read, there's quite
> some configuration possible with the task manager plasmoid, and it's
> possible the one you're adding is setup differently by default, only
> showing what's on that virtual desktop, for instance, or grouping
> windows, so it appears incomplete, but it's only because it's not
> configured the same as the other, or as I said, possibly because you're
> comparing the task managers on the desktop to one in a panel.
>
> > And 2, I have no volume control (its wide, ear blasting, open)
> > regardless of what I assign the master volume to in kmix?  The audio
> > system (no pulse in pclos) also complains about missing audio devices
> > as if something else has grabbed the important ones.  I does this as
> > soon as I'm logged in, and long before it has applied whatever screen
> > settings it may,  or may not have remembered.  I've set video stuff
> > up 3 times so far, but all it seems to remember is some defaults that
> > are far from complete.
>
> FWIW, kde4 uses phonon as its audio system.  phonon in turn uses one of
> several possible backends.  The original backend was the xine backend,
> phonon-xine, and it remains the default in many distributions, despite
> the fact that the phonon devs ran into technical issues with it and now
> consider it deprecated.
>
> The one that seems to be getting the most work and is recommended going
> forward is the vlc backend, phonon-vlc.  There's also the gstreamer
> backend, phonon-gstreamer, which may well work best with distributions
> that default to gnome, since that's a gnome-related technology.
>
> FWIW, based both on my experience and that of someone else who posted
> here with similar "disappearing device" issues, I recommend that you
> try phonon-vlc.  If you have vlc already installed, the phonon-vlc
> backend shouldn't even pull a lot of additional dependencies, tho it
> might if you don't have vlc installed yet.  But for both me and the
> other guy who I recommended try it, the vlc backend cured the problems.
>  It would seem that the "disappearing device" issue is a common one on
> phonon-xine, but I've never seen a report of it on phonon-vlc.  YMMV of
> course, but that's what worked for both me and the other person that
> posted with the problem.
>
> > Obviously I am not doing something right, so where is the tutorial,
> > one that assumes you are starting from a blank screen except for the
> > cashew in the upper right corner.  Or even without that if possible.
>
> I don't believe there's any that start that bare, in part because
> plasma- desktop itself doesn't start that bare by default.

I seem to have managed to at least get a start on it, and found why it
wasn't restoring on a reboot, it was set to go back to the defaults.
So I now have a background image, most of which are duplicates, and a
cashew on all screens now.  It was a matter of unchecking, applying, and
rechecking and re-applying in several places.

> FWIW, it's possible that's why you didn't get any replies before this...
> what you were asking just seemed overwhelming.

Sorry, there was so much mucked up, I was overwhelmed myself.  If there is
only one thing wrong, its a lot easier to try & fix that than when there
are 4 or 5 things wrong, and a reboot throws 3 hours work looking for and
trying to set stuff, away.  Frustrated would be an understatement.

> I know that's why I
> didn't answer it the first time around.  PCLinuxOS is considered a
> reasonably good KDE distribution and I expected that you'd probably ask
> on their user help forums/groups/lists/channels/whatever, eventually.
> (FWIW, I'm a Gentooer, here.)  But after work tonite I took a second
> look and decided I might be able to help, after all, if I ignored the
> request for a tutorial that isn't likely to exist and broke down the
> rest of it into smaller, easier to reply to, pieces.

The pclos folks are as bumfuzzled as I was, the upgrade worked for probably
75% of those who've posted, the rest of us got caught out, badly.

I have now installed the other two phonon backends as xine was apparently
the default.  That also pulled in about 20 more bits and pieces of kde, and
while I did have the sound effects from kmail, and thats all I had, nothing
now, there is enough new kde stuff just went in that I'll reboot before
pursuing the dead audio further.  Hopefully that won't throw away the video
stuff I just spent another hour on.

BTW, there apparently is only one gene heskett, that was me all the time,
and I have been a linux/kde user since about RedHat 5.0, circa early 1998
or late 1997. I was present on a couple of the old kde mailing lists, but
they kept moving, and I occasionally jumped ISP's which doesn't help
continuity either.  I guess that qualifies me as an old fart, which I am,
on my 77th trip around this star now.  And I'll freely admit, short term
memory isn't what it was 50 years ago.

Thanks Duncan , I'm off to reboot before amanda starts her nightly backup.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)