Are parallel KDE sessions safe?

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 29 14:44:25 GMT 2011

On Saturday 29 January 2011 12:55:33 Alex Schuster wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> Is it okay to run two or more parallel KDE sessions with the same user?
>
> Our multimedia PC runs KDE4 now, but the only display is a TV, and
> things are not so easy to read. So I configured the desktop by starting
> KDE4 via FreeNX from another PC. But what when I the same user is already
> logged in? Can strange things happen if I make changes to KDE settings,
> maybe even config file inconsistency or corruption, when both KDEs store
> different settings?

Well, while probably not fatal there's no guarantees you won't mess up your
config somewhere.  Better would be to use FreeNX to shadow your existing
session rather than start a new one.  If using nxclient from nomachine this
option is under config/desktop and choose shadow instead of unix.  When
connecting you'll then be given a list of existing sessions to choose from,
and you will then see and control exactly what's on the TV screen, which is
probably more useful in a media server context than a separate session.

John.