KDE4 global hotkeys working no more

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Jan 20 13:20:12 GMT 2011

Lapo Luchini posted on Thu, 20 Jan 2011 11:49:55 +0100 as excerpted:

>> Talking about which... have you tried creating a fresh user, without an
>> existing kde config (or from the command line without kde running,
>> simply move the test user's kde config, usually ~/.kde or the like, out
>> of the way, so a new, blank one is created for testing, when you start
>> kde)?
>
> Oh, right. I tried that just now: "mv .kde4 .kde4.bak" creates a new
> profile which does NOT show the problem: hotkeys work correctly.
>
> I then did:
> % mv .kde4.bak .kde4
> % rm .kde4/share/config/khotkeysrc
> % rm .kde4/share/config/kglobalshortcutsrc
>
> ...nothing changed.
>
> What other configuration stuff is involved in hotkey managing? Keyboard
> layout maybe? I guess not... but I'm using compose:rwin, FWIW.

Actually... I only use US layout (with extra inet/media-keyboard keys),
but now that you mention it, IIRC someone /did/ mention in a post a few
weeks ago that the layout /did/ have something to do with it, yes.  You
might try reassigning one or two shortcuts to what /should/ be the
defaults but using custom, and see if that "magically" fixes things.

Otherwise, if it comes to it, try the bisect method.  Targets will be
$KDEHOME/share/config and $KDEHOME/share/apps.  Outside kde, try renaming
just one.  Then split the remaining candidates more or less in half with
each further test generation until you get it nailed down to the file, or
the line in the file, if you like.  At least here I highly customize and
definitely don't want to have to redo it all, and that method has
prevented me having to do so on more than one occasion.

Another thing you could try would be stracing (or whatever fbsd uses in
its place) kglobalaccel's file accesses... I've used that method to find
the files something's looking for, as well.