Suspend Issues, or soft kernel locks + no networking, which is worse?

Eric Griffith egriffith92 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 02:44:47 BST 2011

Top replying to myself to keep things a little organized. Read back
through my last reply to get the full picture.

Enabled SysRq in Fedora, the option was compile-enabled, but
runtime-disabled for security reasons. I tried suspend without my USB
mouse plugged in, as well as without my SD-MicroSD adapter inserted;
so both of those are off the table unless its not the hardware, but
bugs in the kernel-modules. Including /var/log/pm-suspend.log below;
just glancing over it, it looks like everything in suspend.log is
reporting a success, but maybe I missed something. Sorry for the
messy-formatting in the log, but copying from the log to email messes
up the tabbing / spacing.

Initial commandline parameters:
Sun Aug  7 21:26:13 EDT 2011: Running hooks for suspend.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00logging suspend suspend:
Linux eric-laptop 2.6.40-4.fc15.i686 #1 SMP Fri Jul 29 18:54:39 UTC
2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
Module                  Size  Used by
ebtable_nat             1451  0
ebtables               12183  1 ebtable_nat
ipt_MASQUERADE          1716  3
iptable_nat             3734  1
nf_nat                 15054  2 ipt_MASQUERADE,iptable_nat
xt_CHECKSUM              921  1
iptable_mangle          1247  1
bridge                 60481  0
ppdev                   6216  0
parport_pc             17816  0
lp                      6973  0
parport                26550  3 ppdev,parport_pc,lp
sunrpc                168805  1
8021q                  14146  0
garp                    4938  1 8021q
stp                     1391  2 bridge,garp
llc                     3726  3 bridge,garp,stp
cpufreq_ondemand        4782  8
acpi_cpufreq            8212  1
mperf                   1137  1 acpi_cpufreq
ip6t_REJECT             3395  2
nf_conntrack_ipv6       6429  1
nf_defrag_ipv6          7174  1 nf_conntrack_ipv6
ip6table_filter         1215  1
ip6_tables              9828  1 ip6table_filter
rfcomm                 49712  8
nf_conntrack_ipv4       6874  5 iptable_nat,nf_nat
nf_defrag_ipv4          1093  1 nf_conntrack_ipv4
xt_state                 942  3
nf_conntrack           56146  6
ipt_MASQUERADE,iptable_nat,nf_nat,nf_conntrack_ipv6,nf_conntrack_ipv4,xt_state
bnep                   11740  2
snd_hda_codec_hdmi     20135  1
snd_hda_codec_realtek   241838  1
snd_hda_intel          20567  2
snd_seq                43528  0
snd_hda_codec          71160  3
snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel
snd_seq_device          5033  1 snd_seq
snd_hwdep               4905  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm                63457  3 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_timer              15237  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd                    48471  13
snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore               5027  1 snd
arc4                    1085  2
ath9k                  87478  0
mac80211              211951  1 ath9k
ath9k_common            1984  1 ath9k
ath9k_hw              256555  2 ath9k,ath9k_common
ath                    12198  2 ath9k,ath9k_hw
btusb                  12468  1
asus_laptop            12357  0
cfg80211              126267  3 ath9k,mac80211,ath
bluetooth             165011  23 rfcomm,bnep,btusb
sparse_keymap           2746  1 asus_laptop
snd_page_alloc          6035  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
fglrx                2542058  139
rfkill                 12939  4 asus_laptop,cfg80211,bluetooth
microcode              11178  0
joydev                  7219  0
serio_raw               3394  0
i7core_edac            13106  0
edac_core              33238  3 i7core_edac
uvcvideo               51089  0
videodev               64085  1 uvcvideo
media                   9214  2 uvcvideo,videodev
iTCO_wdt               10436  0
iTCO_vendor_support     2070  1 iTCO_wdt
xhci_hcd               88848  0
atl1c                  26732  0
virtio_net             10262  0
kvm_intel              38794  0
kvm                   274764  1 kvm_intel
video                  10684  0
radeon                622900  0
ttm                    45930  1 radeon
drm_kms_helper         23178  1 radeon
drm                   156049  3 radeon,ttm,drm_kms_helper
i2c_algo_bit            4206  1 radeon
i2c_core               21572  5 videodev,radeon,drm_kms_helper,drm,i2c_algo_bit
Mem:       1987012     793700    1193312          0      27432     325660
-/+ buffers/cache:     440608    1546404
Swap:      8000508          0    8000508

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00logging suspend suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00powersave suspend suspend:

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00powersave suspend suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/01grub suspend suspend:

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/01grub suspend suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/49bluetooth suspend suspend:

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/49bluetooth suspend suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/55NetworkManager suspend suspend:
Having NetworkManager put all interaces to sleep...Done.

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/55NetworkManager suspend suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/56atd suspend suspend:

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/56atd suspend suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/56dhclient suspend suspend:

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/56dhclient suspend suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/75modules suspend suspend:

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/75modules suspend suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/90clock suspend suspend:

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/90clock suspend suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/94cpufreq suspend suspend:

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/94cpufreq suspend suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/95led suspend suspend:

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/95led suspend suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/95packagekit suspend suspend:

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/95packagekit suspend suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/98video-quirk-db-handler suspend suspend:
ATI Catalyst driver detected, not using quirks.

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/98video-quirk-db-handler suspend suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video suspend suspend:
kernel.acpi_video_flags = 0

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video suspend suspend: success.
Sun Aug  7 21:26:14 EDT 2011: performing suspend